Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

This was the first food item I ever made for my husband before we were EVER married.  It also served as the grooms cake at our wedding.   Now this delicious treat is made for the love of my life for every birthday, father's day and anniversary.  I will be posting a  recipe this week that I will be trying for the first timefromme folder of untried recipies, but in light of my 10 year anniversary today, I thought I'd share this one with you.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup coursely chopped nuts
Cream Cheese frosting

1. Heat oven to 350.  Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, or 2 round pans, 8x1 1/2 or 9x1 1/2 inches, with shortening; lightly flour.
2.  Mix sugar,oil, eggs in large bowl until blended; beat 1 minute.  Stir in remaining ingredients except carrots, nuts and frosting; beat 1 minute.  Stir in carrots and nuts.  Pour into pan.
3. Bake rectangle 40-45 minutes, rounds 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack.
4.  Frost rectangle or fill and frost layers with cream cheese frosting.


Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup stick margerine or butter, softened
2 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
4 cup powered sugar

1.  Beat cream cheese, margerine, milk and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
2.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar on low speed, 1 cuo at a time, until smooth and spreadable. 
Frosts one 13x9 inch cake or one 8 or 9 inch 2 layer cake.  Refridgerate any remaining frosting.

Note: vegetable oil spreads not recommended.
Add 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled with margerine to make chocolate frosting.

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! This looks yummy...I never would have thought of chocolate frosting on a carrot cake. I just might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I've never made the chocolate frosting for the carrot cake. That's just a way to make the cream cheese frosting into a differnt taste. However, somewhere I do have a recipe for chocolate carrot cake! I will have to try that one....

    ReplyDelete